Friday 28 June 2013

From a father's daughter


By Ayesha Ahmed
 The last time I met him was seven years ago. He kept fumbling with the electronic tasbeeh in his hands and looked very vigilant of his surroundings. I could not understand why until his wife approached us and lipped, ‘You need not talk in such quiet hushed tones; I’m sure you guys have much better things to discuss, than me.’ 

  
I wanted to hug him, kiss him, take a stroll with him, demand for candies, do all those things which we used to indulge in back when I was a seven-year-old kid, but his indifference left me shattered.

Stress and perpetual fights between my parents had led to my father walking out when I was just an eight-year-old adolescent and the next time I met him was 10 years later, when I was 18. He said he still had recollections of the day he left us (my mom and me) … how I had kept waving at him excitedly thinking I would get to see him again as soon as he would get done with his assignment overseas. He blamed fate and claimed it had something else in store for us. Therefore, he decided to start a new family in a new country, because he just couldn’t cope with the existing one anyway.

I don’t think I can ever bring myself to comprehend the mindset of a man who finds it perfectly fine to accuse fate for keeping his only child then deprived of a parent. My only hope is that he did it because he saw himself failing as a father and might have thought I would be better off without him.

Never did a day go by when my mother wouldn’t make me count my father’s despicable traits and tell me about his maliciousness; how he was never there when I was born, how he unconcernedly left for his job slipping a five-hundred rupee note in her hands to deal with the childbirth expenses; how she had to struggle with the in-laws to enrol me in one of the leading schools of the city of those times, how my maternal grandparents would spend on me instead of my father, as his hard earned cash would religiously be transferred to his elder brother’s bank account.

But I always tuned a deaf ear to her wailings because I liked being my daddy’s girl. I stuck up for him, defended him and treasured every phone call he made, even if it would be once in a month. After all, what can you expect from a child who has to bear the brunt of adult confidences! But tell you what … it had more to do with my age.

There exists a fine line between growing old and growing up. And I am a staunch believer of the fact that you can’t grow up until you can acknowledge and deal with your parents’ strengths and flaws.

Today, at 25, I have gone full circle from idolising my father to being outraged at the way he abandoned us to a mature acceptance of the entire episode.

There will, however, always be a void because I don’t think I can ever relate to how it feels to have your father’s protection and support, to see him telling you how proud he feels of you when you have graduated and to be exhilarated on you receiving your first pay check. But oh well, c’est la vie (such is life).

Now I’m frantically looking forward to my wedding month because he has promised to be there with me on my big day. I can already foresee that that meeting will be our last one, but I have always treasured our time together and now that there is so little of it left, I cannot stop fantasising and conjuring up those moments of togetherness.
  
Happy Father’s Day, Abbu! I know you don’t believe in this but I couldn’t care less. I have always loved you and will do it till my last breath, whether we are physically together or not!

Love, your eldest daughter.


 The original article appeared here 

No comments:

Post a Comment